About this Sermon
Week 2 // With is Better Than For
What distracts you? Today for this message let’s turn off the phone to concentrate on the message.
Mary and Martha
As Jesus and the disciples continued on their way to Jerusalem, they came to a certain village where a woman named Martha welcomed him into her home. 39 Her sister, Mary, sat at the Lord’s feet, listening to what he taught. 40 But Martha was distracted by the big dinner she was preparing. She came to Jesus and said, “Lord, doesn’t it seem unfair to you that my sister just sits here while I do all the work? Tell her to come and help me.” Luke 10:38 NLT
- So, what distractions today are pulling you away from Jesus? Are you more inclined to do things FOR Jesus, or to spend time WITH Jesus?
- Being WITH Jesus is better than doing things FOR Jesus.
The Danger of your Distractions
- Blaming others
- Questioning God’s love for you. (Luke 10:40, ESV “Lord, do you not care?”)
- Telling God what to do for you instead of asking him what should you do.
- If dependence is the goad, weakness is the advantage.” –Jonathan Pokluda
II. Taking Time to Connect with Jesus
How do you connect with Jesus?
- Quiet Time
- Walking around neighborhood
- Hiking in nature
Do what you need to in order to take time to be Close to Jesus, Be WITH Jesus – That’s your primary goal.
The 3 Steps to Spending Time with Jesus
- Step 1 – Spend time talking at God.
- Step 2 – Spending time giving space to listen.
- Step 3 – 100% shaping of my own soul
Live a life in devotion to Jesus, Himself
In John 17:3 Jesus prayed this to the Father: “Now this is eternal life: that they know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent.”
**Download the June Bible Reading Plan.**