- Week 1 | God Does Not Tie His Shoelaces
- Week 2 | God Picks A Fight
- Week 3 | God Gives Love, Power, & Self Discipline
- Week 4 | Hero or Parable: The Power Idol
- Week 5 | Starve Comfort: The Comfort Idol
- Week 6 | Hidden with Christ: The Affirmation Idol
- Week 7 | The Snake Crusher (Easter Sunday)
About this Sermon
Out of Egypt: Week 5
Hidden With Christ: The Affirmation Idol
I. The Labels We Use
- Theologians: “Approval idolatry”
- Therapists: “Co-dependency”
- Most people: “People pleasing”
II. Key Verse: Proverbs 29:25
III. How This Destroys Me
- I’ll miss God’s purpose for me (1 Thessalonians 2:4)
- My faith won’t grow (John 5:44)
- I’ll sin more (Matthew 26:69-70)
- I won’t share my faith (John 12:42-43
- I’ll be miserable for life (Luke 16:15)
IV. Truths That Will Set You Free
- I can’t please everyone (Luke 6:26, ESV)
- I don’t need their approval (John 5:41-42; 1 John 2:17)
- I only have to please God (Galatians 1:10)
- I will give an account of my life (Romans 14:12; 1 Corinthians 3:12-13)
V. Hidden With Christ (Colossians 3:3-4)
If you made the decision to be hidden with Christ, text “hidden” to 31996
Go Even Deeper:
- What Bible verse from the sermon impacted you the most and why?
- Was there a big point that spoke directly to your life?
- Why do you think we struggle with rejection?
- What has been the most difficult thing you have noticed in your life in the last few weeks?
- Do you find it hard to receive approval from God? If so why?
- Do you find it hard to share your faith? If so why?
- What does it mean to you to be hidden in Christ?