Week 1 | I Transitioned to Adulthood
About This Message
I Unfollowed God Because … I Transitioned To Adulthood
There are alot of reasons somebody might walk away from God.
Maybe they went through a tragedy.
Maybe they were hurt by the church.
Or like Michel shared in his testimony they became an adult and in the transition staying in the church just didn’t seem to fit.
I. Young Adults are leaving the church.
II. The Transition to Adulthood.
- Becoming an adult you have to decide who you are apart from you parents:
- It’s a huge moment in your life…
- Will you have the same politics, music, values?
- Do you need to start over?
- Will you keep some things from them but toss others?
- You’ve learned some things in college
- …science or philosophy you’ve been exposed to
- …and now you’re not sure.
- Here’s the Truth: You don’t have to leave the church if you have doubts ans questions and struggle.
III. The Prodigal Son (Luke 15:11-24, NLT)
- God loves us enough to let us go.
- An essential part of God’s love for us is His willingness to let us reject Him (if we don’t have the ability to reject Him that means we don’t have the ability to choose Him or to love Him.)
- God is a God who lets us go (not a God who tries to control us.)
IV. Church needs to be a safe place for questions.
Our job as the church is to help seekers with gentleness and respect (1 Peter 3:15-16, NLT)
V. Be a Seeker
VI. If you have doubts, what should you do?
- Seek the truth! (2 Corinthians 4:4, NLT)
- Listen to some Bible messages. (Acts 17:10-11, NLT)
- Talk to good friends. (Matthew 9:9-10, NLT)
- Pray. (Isaiah 1:18, ESV)
- The part you don’t do. (John 6:44-45, NLT)
VII. Jesus loves you just as much.
- If you didn’t do your quiet time today, Jesus loves you just as much as He ever did.
- If you fought with your wife today, Jesus loves you just as much.
- If you haven’t opened your Bible in a year, Jesus loves you just as much.
- If this is your first Sunday back to church in 10 years, Jesus loves you just as much.
- If you’re not sure you even like the church …
- If you’re not sure you even believe …
- JESUS LOVES YOU JUST AS MUCH AS HE EVER DID.